Here is a description of Adena following the war in 1878. This small village is situated in the southwest corner of Smithfield Township. It was never laid off as a town, but lots have been sold from time to time and buildings erected on them and a store and a few mechanics shops (blacksmiths) started. The Presbyterians have a good church here. It is a neat but very little village. The first homes were all log cabins but later in the 1800’s more substantial homes took the place of the log houses. (Our Town, Adena 1801 – 1978, Nora Jane DeVore.)
These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the Jefferson County archivist with proof of this consent. The submitters have given permission to the Jefferson County Chapter, OGS to store these files permanently for free access.
Copyright © 2007 - 2015 - Jefferson County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society - All Rights Reserved
This website is designed and maintained by Amy Hissom-Daugherty