Presbyterianism in the Upper Ohio Valley
(Author, Andrew G. Slade, published 1976) – Title page - An authorized publication of the Presbytery of the Upper Ohio Valley in commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the United States of American in 1976.
Adena First Presbyterian Church was first known as the Short Creek Presbyterian Church and was organized in 1847 by the families of Kerrs, Hagans, Hamilton, Carrick, and Stringer from the Beech Spring Church which was organized in 1804. The Beech Spring Church, from which the Adena Congregation came, was dissolved about 1920 and the building is no longer there. The Beech Cemetery is still being used. Seven young men received into communion of this church and entered the ministry. They were Robert Kerr, Samuel G. Kerr, David Ramsey Kerr, Chalmers Armstrong, Henry Brown, James Wells, and Robert Shields. All are deceased. The first Ruling Elders were Robert Brown, Samuel Kerr, William Stringer, and Thomas Hamilton.
Category: Ohio physical, cultural and historic features; Feature Name: Adena Presbyterian Cemetery, Type: Cultural, Class: Cemetery, County: Jefferson, FID: 1961677, Coordinates: Latitude 40.2161805 and Longitude -80.8742561.
These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the Jefferson County archivist with proof of this consent. The submitters have given permission to the Jefferson County Chapter, OGS to store these files permanently for free access.
Copyright © 2007 - 2015 - Jefferson County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society - All Rights Reserved
This website is designed and maintained by Amy Hissom-Daugherty