MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS
MEMBERS
TOWNSHIPS
HELPFUL LINKS

Free downloads of software you may need to view some of the resources on this site.

Click to download the free Adobe Reader!
Acrobat Reader

Click to download the free Word Viewer!
Word Viewer

Click to download the free Excel Viewer!
Excel Viewer

Click to download the free PowerPoint Viewer!
PowerPoint Viewer

Click to download the free Adobe Flash Player!
Adobe Flash Player

History of Amsterdam

The town of Amsterdam was laid out by a Dutchman by the name of David Johnson in 1823 at the junction of Lick Run and Yellow Creek. Part of it being in Jefferson County, and part in Carroll County. I often heard the stream of water flowing through Amsterdam as Goose Run. All these streams ran into Yellow Creek which flowed into the Ohio River.

Johnson named the town Amsterdam, Ohio. There was the Main Street, extending from where the Methodist Church now stands to the Warrengton residence. Before the stores were located in town, trading was done in East Springfield and at the Watson Tavern, which stood for several years and in later years was used as a residence located on Germano road. A a couple miles from Amsterdam the heir to this property was Allan Miller, now torn down. The nearest church was at Bacon Ridge. The first post office was established more than 80 years ago, where the McKee store now stands. The McKee store burned down since this story was first written. The present site is the telephone building. A flour mill located on Mill Street was the first industry, now torn down.

Amsterdam had a wagon maker, which was unusual in such a small town. The first school building stood near the Presbyterian church. The second was in north end of town, where George L. Turvey residence now stands.

Later the present grade school building was erected. Three of the original homes are still standing and in use. The original owners were Ralston, Poole and Carson.

The post office was at one time located in the Ralston home. The home was occupied by the Roy WIllegman family, now is the sight of the fire house and city hall.

Poole ran a store in the home, later owned by William Wilkin, later torn down for bank parking lot. Clete Anderson lived for many years in which was the Carson home. The bricks for these three homes came from a kiln located on the Seaton farm up Lick Run.

The Presbyterian church was organized in 1834. And in the building which is still in use was erected the Methodist church, which was organized shortly afterwards.

The first Methodist church building stood across the road to the right of the present one and was a hewn log and frame building. The Church of God was organized in 1913 and around 1920 the present church on Kilgore Road was erected. The Roman Catholic church was organized in 1914 and occupies the original building. The first Catholic priest was an Irishman, Rev. Father Sullivan.

On April 11, 1904 the town was incorporated with a population of 600. The present population is around 1,200.

George Waggoner was the first mayor and John Crumbley the first Marshall. About this time things began to change around town. Paving on Main Street was done in 1910, and a gas line was laid in 1904. The first oil well was drilled in 1901.  The first railroad came into town with coal miners. Cooperative telephone system was installed. H.C. Hoffman built 1910 the first theater which stands on original sight and one of his descendants, Henry Waggoner runs the theater. Fire destroyed the first theater.

The People's Banking Company was organized around 1910 with C.G. Hess as cashier. The High School building was erected in 1900. Later a new High School was erected in 1926. The first graduating class consisting of one person graduated around 1910. A new consolidating Bergholz and Amsterdam, known as Springfield High is in the future. This High School was built and served its purpose over the years.

In 1939 the water works were installed giving protection to health and prosperity. A monument honoring the veterans of World War One and Two was remodeled a few years ago and stands on the site of the original, on the bank property, near the bank.

Our little village with thousands like it dot the highways and byways from Atlantic to Pacific. From Canada to the Gulf of Mexico and they make America great. Our sons and daughters have gone into the world and made their riches and because of them humanity is richer. Our town is not by any degree perfect. But with all its faults, it is our Home and our Town and we love it. It's a mighty wonderful place to live.

Written by Mrs. Goldie A. Beynon and Mrs. Edith W. Dinger
Rewritten in 1990 by Walter Bush Wilson, taken from a book 1953, Woman's Society of Christian Service, Amsterdam Methodist Church. Walter took creative license and added a line or two.

Twenty union miners lost their lives in a mine fire in Y&O miner No 2 at Amsterdam on October 29, 1919. Several theories as to the origin of the fire have been heard, but it is said that the most likely of all was that the fire was caused by an overheated armature in an electric generator operating a fan. The following are a list of the dead:

{Note - No attempt has been made to correct spelling of names below on the following list}

John Ciotte, age 46 married, 6 children
James Juraski, 38 married, 2 children
George Oakley, 31 married, no children
Victor Orestrovich, 43, single
August Bargatta, 31, single
Anthony Furcus, 42, single
Charles Jeski, 40, single
John Basso, 40, not known
Mike Celesti, 35, single
Mike Floriana, 37, single
Thomas Satula, 32 married, 2 children
Chas. Chakisinsky, 32, single
Amly McLesson, 41 married, 2 children
Tony Raintosky, 46, single
Joseph Toural, 31, single
Stiney Hinoski, 44 married, 4 children
Lewis Kee Kelly, 31 married, 1 child
Peter Cedovado, 34 married, 2 children
James Gray, 67

INFORMATION
LINKS

Ohio Genealogical Society
611 State Route 97 West
Bellville OH 44813-8813
Phone: 419-886-1903
Fax: 419-886-0092
Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday through Saturday

Libraries & Historical Societies
Maps
Migration
Ohio Historical Sites
Ohio Records
Genealogy Sites
Searching Lands & Deeds
Miscelleaneous Links

CHAPTER DONATIONS
CEMETERY DONATIONS
WEBSITE DONATIONS
Search Our Site
© Copyright 2007 - 2011 JEFFERSON COUNTY CHAPTER of the Ohio Genealogical Society. This site was designed by Amy Hissom
These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the Jefferson County archivist with proof of this consent.  The submitters have given permission to the Jefferson County Chapter, OGS to store these files permanently for free access.