Washington, PA - The Reporter - June 18, 1810 - Estate: Kerr-McCluney/Sign of the Indian Queen-Slemons-Sights; Irvine-Ralston/Buffaloe-near Brownlee's Fulling Mill; Sam. Cunningham's new store/Wash.;
estate of Sam. Kerr, dec'd, late of Wash. Co., produce/pay/claim, at house of Jn. McCluney, Sign of the Indian Queen, boro of Wash., 24th day of July next, etc. Sam. Slemons, David Sights, Adm'rs., June 18th, 1810
1 dollar Reward
Run away, apprentice Geo. Irvine, 15 yrs., 5 ft., 2-3 inc., stout made, short white hair, lgt blue eyes, describes clothing. from Jn. Ralston, living on head waters of Buffaloe, near Brownlee's Fulling Mill, weaving bus. June 18th, 1810
The old and new Monongahela, 1893, Pittsburgh, By John Stogdell Van Voorhis pg. 66
Rev. John Kerr
(Written for the Republican by request.)
Althought not unexpected, our citizens were startled at the announcement on Monday of the death on Sabbath morn, Mar. 20, 1892, of Rev. John Kerr, which occurred at his home in Parnassus, Westmoreland Co., PA. He was the oldest minister, as to ordination, in the Allegheny Presbytery.
Rev. John Kerr was the son of James Kerr, who came from Northhampton Co. to Washington Co. in 1800. He was m. to Hannah Mason in 1803. The deceased was their fifth child, and was b. in Florence, Washington Co, PA, December 25, 1813. He commenced his classical studies in the fall of 1828, in the private school of Thomas Levingston, near Florence, PA. He was a student in the Cross Creek Academy for 3 sessions; he entered Washington College in the autumn of 1830, in the Freshman Class; graduated in 1834, and immediately entered the W. Theological Seminary During the next winter he took charge of the New London Academy in Chester Co., PA. Mr. Kerr also assisted during the winter of 1837-8 in the Florence Academy. In Oct., 1838, he was licensed to preach by the Presbytery of Washington at its meeting in Cross Creek. During the winter after he was licensed he supplied various vacant churches, especially the Mill Creek Church, where he was urged to accept a call which he de!
clined, preferring to take charge of the Kittanning Academy, preaching in the meantime at Manor, Crooked Creek and Apollo. Calls was presented at the fall meeting of Presbytery from that field and Monongahela City. The latter call he accepted, and was ordained and installed pastor of this church by the Presbytery of OH, Apr. 22, 1840. He labored in the Monongahela City church from the 4th Church of Pittsburgh. He declined especially on account of the strong and untied remonstrance against his removal to any other field of labor. In 1862 he resigned his pastorate. During his labors in this church the membership increased from 90 to 205.
His next field was as stated supply, and paster-elect for 3 years, of the church of Raccoon. He declined this call in order to engage in city mission work under the care of the Pittsburgh Presbytery, in which he continued until Dec. 14, 1869. Jan. 17, 1872, he was installed pastor of the Valley Church, Allegheny, from which charge he was released in July, 1874, and removed to his late residence.
In later years he supplied different churches up the Allegheny, and by his personal efforts several new church buildings were erected, the last one being at Natrona, where, said he, "I expect to finish my mission and ministerial work on earth." He was m. in Apr. 1840, to Miss Anne B. Campbell, daughter of Rev. Allen D. Campbell. The deceased was the father of 6 children: B.B. Kerr, Allen C. Kerr, and J. M. Kerr, all in business in Pittsburgh. Thomas Kerr is an attorney in NY; John Kerr is a minister in Joliet, IL; his daughter Ella m. Rev. J. E. Wright, of Germantown, PA, and his daughter Euphemia is deceased. She was the wife of Dr. C. B. King, a native of this city.
We can hardly realize that the friend and preacher of our youth has passed away - he whom everybody loved. During his pastorate in this city, he was held in high esteem by old and young. He was not only valued as a minister but equally so as a citizen and Christian gentleman. His heart and feelings were warm, and his disposition so mild and pliable that none feared to approach him. Settling in this city amidst the exciting times of 1840, he never failed to do well his work as a minister of the gospel, so as to hold together in unity his coworkers and church membership. He had around him as advisors such men as elders Gordon, McGrew, Martin, Van Voorhis, Fulton, Wilson, Kiddoo and Power. They, too, have all passed away excepting Power, and are today enjoying together the glories of the immortal state. He not only identified himself with the interests of the church, but incorporated himself and his interests into everything that tended to advance the good of his adopted!
city and neighborhood. The twelve members of his graduating class are deceased, we think, excepting Rev. Hamilton, the Indian missionary. Among the class was such names as Prof. Murry, Dr. W. L. Lafferty, E. S. Graham and Robert Woods.
The wife of the deceased survives him. The remains were interred in the Allegheny cemetery. Blessed be the memory of such a man. For much of this sketch we are indebted to the College Annual and to a personal interview with the deceased not many years ago.
These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the Jefferson County archivist with proof of this consent. The submitters have given permission to the Jefferson County Chapter, OGS to store these files permanently for free access.
Copyright © 2007 - 2015 - Jefferson County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society - All Rights Reserved
This website is designed and maintained by Amy Hissom-Daugherty