Presbyterianism in the Upper Ohio Valley
(Author, Andrew G. Slade, published 1976) – Title page - An authorized publication of the Presbytery of the Upper Ohio Valley in commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the United States of American in 1976.
Knoxville Associated Reformed Presbyterian Church – This church, very conservative in doctrine and worship, was formed in 1782 by the union of parts of the Reformed Presbyterian and the Associate Churches. This was the first church union in North America. In 1805 this part of Ohio was under the jurisdiction of the Monongahela Presbytery which had eleven ministers, only one of whom – the Rev. Alexander Calderhead, who preached at Wheeling and Short Creek – was a settled pastor on this side of the Ohio River. In the early days “riding preachers” would go around from settlement to settlement preaching. It is supposed that one of these was Rev. Calderhead, for it was he who organized the first branch of the church in this area in 1805, and in the home of Colonel John Andrews, near Richmond. After this time preaching was done in a tent, which was moved from place to place along Yellow Creek. This was in 1806. In 1816 the congregation built a hewn log meeting house and called it the “Union Church.” Later a new brick Presbyterian Church was built in Richmond.
These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the Jefferson County archivist with proof of this consent. The submitters have given permission to the Jefferson County Chapter, OGS to store these files permanently for free access.
Copyright © 2007 - 2015 - Jefferson County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society - All Rights Reserved
This website is designed and maintained by Amy Hissom-Daugherty