Steubenville Twp
Jefferson County, Ohio

Church Records

A book of records for the Trustees of the Methodist E. Church in Steubenville, Volume II, 1835 – 1841 & member records from 1850 – 1857. {The following is exactly as it appears in the book. This book was found with other books in a tin box in the vault of the National Exchange Bank, Steubenville, with other First Church Methodist E. documents in custody of P. Westland.} Agreeable to public notice an election was held on Monday, March 4th, 1835 at the Methodist Episcopal Church in Steubenville for the purpose of electing a board of trustees seven in number for the Steubenville Station. After being duly elected and qualified to fill and hold their office for one year or until their successors in office are duly elected.

Electors Names

1.   James Ruden  

2.   Joshua Dunn   

3.   William Copeland

4.   John Stitt

5.   Bradson Gibbons 

6.   Ambrose Shaw  

7.   Wm. Eaken 

8.   Frederic Frye  

9.   John Powell 

10. John McCully

11. Resin Permar

12. Daniel B. Brown

13. William Branson

14. John Kenyan

15. Frederick Rasher

16. David Permar

17. James Little

18. T.A. Plants

19. Edward Mahan

We do hereby certify that the above is a true list of the names of the voters all who were eligible to a vote at this Election.

Rezen Permar                  
John McCulley
Daniel B. Brown, Clerks 
John Powel
Frederick Basher, Judges

We do hereby certify that the above is a true list of the names of the voters all who were eligible to a vote at this Election.

Rezen Permar                   John McCulley

Daniel B. Brown, Clerks  John Powel

Frederick Basher, Judges

We do hereby certify that James S. Scott, C.C. Wolcott, John McCulley, John Permar, John Powel, Frederick Rasher and Ambrose Shaw having a majority of votes were elected Trustees in trust of the property belonging to the Methodist Episcopal Church in the Steubenville Station.

Agreeable to notice a meeting of the trustees was held at John Powels on Friday evening July 3rd. The Rev. W. Thorn was called to the chair, J.S. Scott was elected secretary and treasurer. On motion resolved that a committee of two be appointed to wait on those persons who has trespassed on the graveyard and see that reparation be made and to be a standing committee for that purposehence forward. Frederck Rasher, Ambrose Shaw were appointed said committee.

Oct. 28th, 1835 – Father McCullough was called to the chair, I. S. Scott secretary. On motion resolved that a committee of the whole attend to prosecuting such persons as have injured or dug sand from the grave yard.

J.S. Scott, to liquidate the debts due from the parsonage, 160 were borrowed of Hans Willson for one year form 22 May 1837 for which a bond was given entest R. Machen, J. Powell, D. Gitchell, R. Permar, A. Shaw, C. C. Wolcott, and F. Risher, Trustees.

Steubenville June 27, 1837 – At a meeting of Trustees of the M.E. C. held at John Powell Store members motioned that we the trustees proseed according to the request of the quarterly meeting conference to purchase of Samuel Manel a lot of ground for a Cemetery or Burrying Ground for the use of the M.E. Church a lot of ground containing two acres was purchased for the sum of one thousand dollars datted July 20, 1837 warrenttee deed to be given according to the Discipline of M. E. C. signed, Samuel Manes, tested, James Boyd, John Powell

Flora L. VerStraten comments – Church graveyards were the first burial grounds for the city of Steubenville, dotting the entire downtown community. Most churches have been identified through deed searches to have at least a small graveyard adjacent to the church. Note that the M.E. church graveyard (confirmed with a deed search) was two acres in size. This cemetery ran from S. 4th St. at the M.E. church corner down to where the Jefferson County Library is now located (formerly the Carnegie Library). When the Union Cemetery board was forming in 1854, the need for city-church graveyards became a subject of great debate and thus they were eliminated. Some burials were removed to Union Cemetery and others didn’t have the funds, family, or interest to re-inter their loved ones. There are few records or references of re-interments from these various OLD downtown pioneer church cemeteries to the Union and other modern cemeteries. What happened to our loved one’s remains and their tombstones? Bones, hair & pieces of tombstones were discovered when Grant school was built in the mid 1870’s. As time went by and buildings [businesses] sprung up, other remains continued to be found in various areas downtown.

NOTE- July 27, 1873, pg. 4 Steubenville Daily Herald: Digging up the deadWorkmen are engaged in digging up the dead in the old graveyards on South Fourth Street. A large number of bodies remain in the valuable sand that have no business there. The sand must be used for building houses for the living and the robbing of the dwellings of the dead must go on even if the bones of our former citizens can find no other resting place than the street. It has for years been the custom of digging up skeletons and ingeniously secreting them under foot boards or disjointing them for dog food. As this has been an established custom, we trust at this time it will strictly be adhered to. The dead have no rights, the living are bound to respect.