Island Creek Twp
Jefferson County, Ohio

This church was organized in Alikanna in 1873, with the following members: Samuel Speaker and wife, Eli Albright and wife, David Blackmore and wife, John Nixon and Mrs. William McElroy. Private houses were used meetings until 1880, when a small frame building was erected. This lasted until 1895, when the increased membership necessitated larger quarters, and the present church, seating about 250, was built. Rev. A. J. Culp was the first pastor, and after that the congregation was served regularly in connection with Thomson and Finley Chapels, the present one being J.E. Miller.  {History of Jefferson County, by Caldwell, p. 454}

NOTE - The chapter has heard about a "Speaker Cemetery" located where the church once stood. Rumor has it that when they built State Route 7, many witnessed the cemetery being "pushed in to the river." Again, we have checked local records for references to re-interments from this pioneer cemeteries, but to date have not located any.