Howard Wirt Middleton History

Rev. Wilbur Blackburn Meiser married Dorothy B. Middleton, the daughter of Howard Wirt Middleton. We would like to send a “thank you” to Rev. Wilbur Meiser, who was so kind to provide the following information about his father-in-law.

Howard was born August 14, 1877 in New Moscow, Ohio. He married Gertrude Sproull, on December 26, 1912 in Roscoe, Ohio. She was born June 23, 1879 in Tunnel Hill, Ohio. Their children were: Donald G. Middleton, born November 13, 1915, died November 13, 1994 and Dorothy B. Middleton. {Family photo below.}

Rev. Middleton served churches in the North East Ohio Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, later the Methodist Church from 1911 to 1943. His first church was in Keene, Ohio and the last was in Adena, Smithfield Twp., Jefferson County, Ohio. Included with Adena was: Harrisville and Georgetown churches. Other churches he served in Jefferson County were in the following charges:

  • 1928 – 1931: Irondale and Hammondsville, Saline Twp. Pine Grove, Ross Twp., and Chestnut Grove, Brush Creek Twp. – all in Jefferson County, Ohio.
  • 1931 – 1936: George’s Run, Wells Twp., Harmony, Steubenville Twp., and New Alexandria, Cross Creek Twp., - all in Jefferson County, Ohio.
  • 1940 – 1943: Adena, Smithfield Twp., and Harrisville and Georgetown.

Adena, Smithfield Twp., Parsonage, H.W. Middleton from 1940-1944

   Rev. Middleton served 11 charges during his ministry, which included 33 churches. His pastorates covered from 1 to 5 years per charge.

Church Timeline, served by H.W. Middleton

  • Keene; 1911 – 1912: Elliotts Chapel and White Eyes
  • Mohawk; 1912 – 1914:Wilsons Chapel, New Castle, Walhonding
  • Holmesville; 191 – 1916: Mt. Hope, Berlin
  • Keene; 1916 – 1920: Elliotts Chapel, Clark
  • Columbia Station; 1920 – 1922
  • Pavonia; 1922 -1927: Franklin, Olivesburg
  • Fredericktown Circuit; 1927 – 1928: Waterford, Berlin, Batemantown, Green Valley
  • Irondale; 1928 – 1931: Hammondsville, Pine Grove, Chestnut Grove
  • George’s Run; 1931 – 1936: Harmony, New Alexander
  • Rogers; 1936 – 1940: East Fairfield, Elkton, Williamsport
  • Adena; 1940 – 1943: Harrisville, Georgetown

    {Below: George’s Run Methodist Church, H.W. Middleton, 1931-1936.}