Presbyterianism in the Upper Ohio Valley
(Author, Andrew G. Slade, published 1976) – Title page - An authorized publication of the Presbytery of the Upper Ohio Valley in commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the United States of American in 1976.
Mingo Junction First United Presbyterian Church - Its Antecedents (1) Potter Memorial Presbyterian Church on March 1, 1873, a group of the agricultural residents, who held membership in the Presbyterian Church of Steubenville met at the home of Adam Peefer, Sr., to organize a Presbyterians Church in Mingo Junction. A committee was selected to receive deed for lots given by the heirs of Daniel Potter… James Hill was chosen chairman and H.L. Wilson, secretary. Others on the committee were Adam Peter, Henry Adams, and J.H. Erwin…On April 30, 1873, an appointment to visit Mingo was made and to seek the way to clearly organize a church there. The church was dedicated August 17, 1873, and the first Communion was celebrated on September 21, 1873. The congregation was served by supply ministers, with T.V.
Milligan being the first. The others were:
T.V. Milligan - 1873-1876
J.W. Hamilton - 1876-1879
George R. Cochran - 1879
S. Forbes - 1879-1885
Mr. Spriggs - 1886-1887
H.O. Gilson - 1887
In 1908, the membership again took a nose-dive to deaths and members leaving the community…sharing a part time minister from the Brilliant Congregation…the records speak of both of these congregations coming together in order that Mingo and Brilliant have a Presbyterian witness. The church moved and God blessed…A new manse was built on Murdock Avenue around 1912…In 1951 the Rev. W.A. Martin was called to the Potter Memorial Church. During his pastorate the 80th Anniversary of Potter Church was observed…December 11, 1955 plans were completed and a merger of the Potter Memorial Church and the Slovak Church to become what is now the First United Presbyterian Church took place…
These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the Jefferson County archivist with proof of this consent. The submitters have given permission to the Jefferson County Chapter, OGS to store these files permanently for free access.
Copyright © 2007 - 2015 - Jefferson County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society - All Rights Reserved
This website is designed and maintained by Amy Hissom-Daugherty