{The following was taken from the History of Mingo Jct., author Brettell.}

The earliest schools were Parrís or Old Harmony on the hill back of Parr farmhouse (located on 1871 Atlas map in Wells Twp.), and Hillís school to the west of town. The first school building in town was on the site of our present Central Building. It was erected in 1873 and was a frame building of two rooms; one upstairs and one down. Because of the presence of some large chestnut trees in the yard it was first called Chestnut Ridge School and later was changed to Franklin. Early teachers were Mr. Francis, Nate Phipps and B. Hereran. This was followed by the Logan Building on the East Side and consisted of one room; a small classroom being added later and C.E. Oliver was the first principle