Presbyterianism in the Upper Ohio Valley
(Author, Andrew G. Slade, published 1976) – Title page - An authorized publication of the Presbytery of the Upper Ohio Valley in commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the United States of American in 1976.
Rayland United Presbyterian Church - The earliest available records indicate that the Rayland church was organized during the winter of 1869. Layman Athelbert J. Alexander conducted the service which was held in the then new school house. On June 7, 1879, the following were admitted into membership in Portland (now Rayland): Mariah E. Norman, Mary A. Stringer, Adam C. Hathaway, Arabell Lyen, Jane J. Norman, Cynthia Tilton, and Joseph H. Stringer. The first church building was erected in September 1879. Rev. Crawford preached the dedicatory sermon. At the time of the flood of 1884, the church building provided a haven for refugees. On June 28, 1943 fire so damaged the main part of the church that the congregation decided to build a new one.
These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the Jefferson County archivist with proof of this consent. The submitters have given permission to the Jefferson County Chapter, OGS to store these files permanently for free access.
Copyright © 2007 - 2015 - Jefferson County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society - All Rights Reserved
This website is designed and maintained by Amy Hissom-Daugherty