Richmond Presbyterian/ Richmond United Presbyterian/Seceder – Salem Twp. (well kept by the church)
Will of James Watson - Removal from Andrews Cemetery
Will of James Watson
1 June 1837
$140.00 to defray espence[sic] of removing from David Andrews place and burying in reformed church at Richmond bodies of George Watson, Eliza Watson and Sarah Eleanor Watson and Sarah Watson as soon as said church shall have a burying ground and place head and foot stones at their graves. William and David Andrews to perform burials.
Brother George Anderson
Executors - Henry Shook and David Andrews
Witness - John Andrews and William Henderson
1 June 1837
Category: Ohio physical, cultural and historic features; Feature Name: Richmond United Presbyterian Cemetery, Type: Cultural, Class: Cemetery, County: Jefferson, FID: 1961710, Coordinates: Latitude 40.4308997 and Longitude -80.7684144.
Presbyterianism in the Upper Ohio Valley
(Author, Andrew G. Slade, published 1976) – Title page - An authorized publication of the Presbytery of the Upper Ohio Valley in commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the United States of American in 1976.
Richmond Presbyterian Church – The church was founded in 1805 by Rev. Alexander Calderhead. The first session members were: John Collins, John Johnson, and John Walker. The first place of worship was a structure of tent five feet by six feet and seven feet high. There was just enough head room for the pastor to stand. This was on Colonel John Andrews’s farm several miles out in the country. In 1816 a log building was built. In 1836 a new building was erected on the site of the present building. The building was destroyed by a severe storm. In 1885 this building was replaced by a larger more modern place of worship. In 1836 a decline came when the first church was built in Richmond. A part of the church congregation withdrew and created an organization in 1837 in Knoxville. The Rev. William Lorimer came in 1838, thus being the first minister to serve as pastor of both congregations (Richmond and Knoxville). Thus, these churches were sister churches from 1838 until about 1965, at which time they dissolved their union. Knoxville continued on their own for a while and merged with Hilltop United Presbyterian Church. The church had several outstanding leaders. Among them were: Colonel John Andrews, whose home was the meeting place for the organization of the church; John and Barbara Shelly who presented the land for the cemetery and for the present church grounds…and in 1848 sold to the church the grounds west of the church for hitching posts…among the ministers were: Rev. Samuel Lorimer, Rev. Andrew McCarroll, Rev. William F. Golden, Rev. Ross Walker, Rev. H.D. Gordon, Rev. Robert Porter, Rev. W.E. Gordon, Rev. J.P. Cavitt, Rev. I.D. Anderson, and Rev. Leiper Stevenson.
Alexander Calderhead - 1805
F. George Buchanan - 1811
Hugh Parks - 1831
William Lorimer - 1838-1859
J.H. Peacock - 1850-1867
J.B. Borland - 1850-1867
J.B. Borland - 1871-1889
J.M. Duncan - 1889-1893
W.T. Brownlee - 1898-1902
List continues through 1972
These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the Jefferson County archivist with proof of this consent. The submitters have given permission to the Jefferson County Chapter, OGS to store these files permanently for free access.
Copyright © 2007 - 2015 - Jefferson County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society - All Rights Reserved
This website is designed and maintained by Amy Hissom-Daugherty