Smithfield Township was created November 7, 1805 from Short Creek Township, which was one of the original townships formed in Jefferson County. It had rich coal veins and thus abundant coal mining and stripping. It is six square miles and 60 full sections. Mt Pleasant was detached from it in 1807. Early settlers include: Simpson, Tyson, Kirk, Purviance, Kinsey, Miller, Jelks, Jolly, Morton, Vermillion, McGrew, Hammond, Cope, Sidwell, Hobbs, Scott, Naylor, Carr, Cramlet, Francis, Stoneman, McLaughlin, Haynes, Holmes, and Jamison.
These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the Jefferson County archivist with proof of this consent. The submitters have given permission to the Jefferson County Chapter, OGS to store these files permanently for free access.
Copyright © 2007 - 2015 - Jefferson County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society - All Rights Reserved
This website is designed and maintained by Amy Hissom-Daugherty