Steubenville Township was formed May 30, 1803.  The first listed township trustees were; Brice Viers, John England and Thomas Patton. This township included what are now Island Creek, Cross Creek and Salem Townships, the two former being cut off on June 4, 1806, and the last named on June 3, 1807.  Some surnames found in early records are: Biggs, Dunlevy, Adams, Friend, Blackburn, Black, Shane, Hunter, McCullough, Johnson, Nottingham, Lee, Engle, Beck, Bickerstaff, and Fisher.