1805 – Earliest school in Steubenville – Teacher, Mr. Black. It was located in a frame residence between 5th and Commercial St. on Market St.
1807 – Little Red schoolhouse – Built with funds raised by Bezaleel Wells. Located on S. High St., first teacher was James Thompson.
1814 – First classical school in the West. Rev. George Buchanan established it. It was located on W. Market St. above the Pennsylvania Railroad. One of the pupils was Edwin M. Stanton.
1817 – Two private schools in Steubenville. Rev. J.B. Finley and the other taught by Dr. C.C. Beatty.
1818 – Mr. Baker opened a third school near the head of Washington St.
1820 – An academy was established on the east side of S. High St. It was taught by Prof. J.P. Miller, a seceder minister. Samuel Acherly opened a school on N. 7th St. and Dr. John Scott opened the Grove Academy on 7th St. above North. Boys and girls attended together by private subscription of $2.50 to $5.00 per scholar for six months.
1829 – The famous Steubenville Female Seminary was opened by Dr. C. C. Beatty and his wife. It was located on S. High St. between Adams and South St. This school was for girls only and the first class graduated in 1833. Nearly 5,000 women from Steubenville and other parts of the country were educated. The school closed in 1898.
These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the Jefferson County archivist with proof of this consent. The submitters have given permission to the Jefferson County Chapter, OGS to store these files permanently for free access.
Copyright © 2007 - 2015 - Jefferson County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society - All Rights Reserved
This website is designed and maintained by Amy Hissom-Daugherty