Warren Township was created May 30, 1803 and was reduced in size when Wells Township was taken at the northern end in 1823. That left 25 full sections and 5 fractional sections. The first white child was born west of the Ohio River in this township. Rich in coal and was considered “Indian Territory.” Blockhouses were found throughout the township below the mouth of Rush Run. Pioneer surnames include: McElroy, Doyle, Carpenter, Cleary, Wells, Stringer, Tilton, Humphrey, and Scamahorn.
These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the Jefferson County archivist with proof of this consent. The submitters have given permission to the Jefferson County Chapter, OGS to store these files permanently for free access.
Copyright © 2007 - 2015 - Jefferson County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society - All Rights Reserved
This website is designed and maintained by Amy Hissom-Daugherty