Wells Township was created in 1823 from Warren Township, which was one of the first five original townships formed in Jefferson County. It has 23 full sections and five fractional sections. Pioneers could be found hunting throughout the area. This territory was known to be populated with Indians and was considered Indian Territory, which included Mingo Village (now Mingo Jct.). It was an enchanted land full of sugar maples, elms, cherry, hickory, wild grapes, rye, wild vegetation and various berries. Some of the early pioneers were: Nation, Tarr, Dean, Barrett, Hyndman/Hindman, Matthews, Everson, Hook, Bucy/Bucey, Riddle, Scamehorn, Taylor, Spriggs, Doddridge, Jackson, Dawson, Parsons, Wheeler, Rose, Jacks, Linton, Everson, Roe, and Riley.
These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the Jefferson County archivist with proof of this consent. The submitters have given permission to the Jefferson County Chapter, OGS to store these files permanently for free access.
Copyright © 2007 - 2015 - Jefferson County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society - All Rights Reserved
This website is designed and maintained by Amy Hissom-Daugherty